Sunday, August 31, 2008

Meet the Robinsons

A few weeks ago, our family watched Disney's Meet the Robinsons, and I wanted to comment about it. I have not been pleased with Disney's movies for many years. Although they are supposed to be for children, they frequently have things that I consider inappropriate. There's my little rant. Because of all of this, I was very pleasantly surprised when we decided to try this movie because I had heard so many good things about it. It was thought provoking and I thought it was touching. I couldn't stop crying at the end. My kids missed out on the reasons that I was crying, but perhaps you can understand.

The poor little boy, Lewis, believes that the only person who ever loved him was his mother, so he goes in search of her. He puts aside everything else in his life except for this quest. He misses out on living because he is focusing on the past. After a series of events, he realizes that he must always look at the now and look to the future, not the past. Therein lies his change. He finally has a chance to meet his mother, but at the last moment decides against it, knowing that he must look to the future. I believe that this shows a selflessness that is the crux of the morality of this film. After this choice, we see Lewis stop to think about the other boy, Goob, and save him from a life of misery. Goob, on the other hand, is the "bad guy" who shows what happens when we are only selfish. He spends his life sitting around thinking about how he was wronged. He does nothing to improve himself and is, therefore, and idiot. Lewis, however, spends his life looking ahead and is full of selflessness and makes something of himself. But he doesn't forget others. He wants Goob to make good choices, and the wacky make-up of his family is indicative of his selflessness and his desire to make others happy, even if it means having them live with him.

This is actually a Disney movie that I would recommend, and I am looking forward to reading the book that it is based on "A Day with Wilbur Robinson".

3 comments:

mer and mel said...

I love that movie too! " I have a big head, and little arms!" ;) I too agree about the disney movies lately. We watched Land Before Time today and they sure dont make movies like they used too. ANywho, Kudos to you for fixing the vaccum- we are great at fix- it stuff, eh? Hey, I'm a member of Shelfari for book reading. YOu should check that one out tooQ Love you

jen said...

Love the blog, it's great to be able to check in on everyone now and again. At the moment we are not online, but as soon as we are I will be better at updating my blog. Hope your family is doing well.
-Jen

Anonymous said...

Could you believe I never seen the whole movie? I can sit through a kids movies anymore. I usually fall asleep. But my hubby tells me is very good!